Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sharing a memory...

I thought you'd all enjoy this... it's a reposting from my blog:

Let me preface this by saying that my Grandpo was an amazing runner... he ran until he was physically unable to do so at the age of 75. He encouraged all of us to do the same... and I miss him every single day.

I was a chubby child... a harbinger of things to come, I suppose. My Grandpo was determined to 'fix' that. So one lovely Saturday morning (a typical Albuquerque summer day), he picked up me and my brother (an equally chubby child) up for some 'fun'. It was Grandpo, so we thought- hey! A movie... maybe the zoo... ooh, maybe Uncle Cliff's (a local amusement park)...

Har-de-har-har... what we did was go downtown for a run. No, not to WATCH, but to run. I don't think I had ever run further than from the living room to the kitchen for some fresh tortillas...

I remember it vividly (in technicolor!)... the sights, smells, sounds. It was a one mile 'fun' run. I thought I was going to die. That mile seemed to stretch out to forever. Why, God, why? My Grandpo loved me! This wasn't 'fun', this was hell!

And then I crossed the finish line... I remember getting a medal, and the smile on my Grandpo's face... and then and there an addiction was born. I haven't always nourished that addiction, but like a silent flame, it's burned on in my heart since that day.

For me, it's how I keep my much loved, and much missed Grandpo alive. That flame. So, while my first run wasn't much 'fun', most of my runs since have been. And to honor this (funny) special memory, I registered my daughter today for HER first fun run. 5/3/08, she and I will both run the Miles for Miracles run in Denver.

And just for giggles, my brother (and his daughter) will also be running that day. Here's to you, Grandpo. Looks like you succeeded after all. :)

No comments: